background

Thursday, December 22, 2011

The De-Constructed Pumpkin Pie from GUEST BLOGGER: The Lady Behind the Curtain

The De-Constructed Pumpkin PieWhen I saw today's guest post I was so excited. I had just pinned a recipe almost exactly like this and so I knew I wanted to make something like this soon. But there are only so many days in a week and so many desserts my family can eat up in such a short amount of time. I am still happy that I get to share this recipe with all of you even though I didn't get to make it myself YET, it was made by a guest blogger, JUST FOR YOU, SO ENJOY!

Today's guest post comes to you from Sheryl at Lady Behind the Curtain. We are involved in a few projects together each month Secret Recipe Club, The Improv Cooking Challenge and Crazy Cooking Challenge, so we are getting to know each other quite well through blogging.

Blog: Lady Behind the Curtain

TAKE IT AWAY: Hi Everyone, I am Sheryl from LADY BEHIND THE CURTAIN. I am HONORED to be here at MOMS CRAZY COOKING as a GUEST BLOGGER! I have been blogging since January of this year and LOVE it! My passion is ENTERTAINING. I LOVE TO COOK! Giving the gift of a homemade meal is my way of showing the people in my life how much they mean to me. LADY BEHIND THE CURTAIN offers many recipes which range from the beginner cook to the more seasoned cook. Like, my Italian Sandwich , PERFECT for Game Day or The Old Fashioned Layer Cake which is easy to make but looks IMPRESSIVE.

The De-Constructed Pumpkin Pie

Nothing says Holiday like Pumpkin Pie. I decided to take the traditional dessert and mix it up a bit (literally). I have given you three options on how to serve this dessert ( see below). A push up pop, parfait cup and a mason jar.

I have been making this pie filling for over 20 years. It’s ALWAYS a BIG hit! This year I decided to add the homemade cinnamon whipped cream (recipe below) and all I can say is “YUM!” I hope you enjoy this twist on my families Thanksgiving tradition.

The De-Constructed Pumpkin Pie Recipe

Pie Crust
2-crust pie dough -- your favorite recipe or pre-made
Roll out a small piece of dough. Cut out shapes using a small pumpkin or leaf cookie cutter. Brush with egg wash ( 1 egg to 1 tablespoon of water) sprinkle with sugar and cinnamon. Bake at 375 degrees until lightly browned.

Roll out remaining dough to fit a large baking pan (like a jelly roll pan). Bake until browned. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.

Put the cooled crust into a food processor to make into crumbs. Set aside.

The De-Constructed Pumpkin Pie

The De-Constructed Pumpkin Pie
Pie Filling
1 – 16 ounce can pumpkin
3/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
3 eggs
2/3 cup evaporated milk
1/2 cup milk

Mix together pumpkin, sugar, cinnamon, salt, ginger, and nutmeg. Add eggs, lightly beat eggs into pumpkin mixture with a fork. Add the evaporated milk and milk; mix well. Place into a spring form pan. Place pan into a baking pan larger then the spring form pan, put into a pre heated 375 degree oven.

Fill the larger pan with boiling water.

Bake 45 minutes or until when a knife is inserted into the center comes out clean. CAREFULLY remove pan from water bath and cool on wire rack. Once cooled remove the outside ring.

Scoop the pie filling into a bowl and whip with a spoon.

The De-Constructed Pumpkin Pie

The De-Constructed Pumpkin Pie

Cinnamon Whipped Cream Recipe
2 cups heavy cream
3/4 cups confectioners’ sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

In a large bowl, using a mixer set on medium-high speed, beat the cream, sugar, cinnamon, and vanilla until stiff peaks form. Do not over beat.

Construction
For the push up pop add 1 tablespoon of pie crust crumbs; for the parfait cup or mason jar add 2 tablespoons of pie crust crumbs.

Fill a piping bag with the Pumpkin Pie Filling and another pipping bag with the Cinnamon Whipped Cream each fitted with your favorite tips.

Pipe pumpkin pie filling on top of the pie crust crumbs, and then pipe cinnamon whipped cream.

Repeat layers and top with a cut out pumpkin or leaf.

I know not all of you love to bake like I do, so I have an easy semi-homemade way you can make this dessert. It’s all in the presentation. Right?

Semi-Homemade De-Constructed Pumpkin Pie
Pumpkin Pie from Costco
Cool Whip
Cinnamon

Yep, that’s it! Now there is NO excuse. You too can have an impressive dessert. Just scoop out the pumpkin from your pie into a bowl mix until fluffed. Put the pie crust in the food processor and make into crumbs. Add 1 teaspoon of cinnamon to a large tub of cool whip and mix. Scoop pumpkin pie filling into a pipping bag fitted with your favorite tip. Fill another pipping bag with the cinnamon cool whip also fitted with your favorite tip. Layer pie crust crumbs, pumpkin pie filling then cool whip into your container of choice, do this twice.

The De-Constructed Pumpkin Pie
I am very THANKFUL for the opportunity of bringing you this recipe and a NEW idea on how to serve THE PUMPKIN PIE! HAPPY THANKS GIVING to you from LADY BEHIND THE CURTAIN!


Thank You Sheryl, WOW what an amazing recipe!
And the semi-homemade idea. WAY TO GO!!!
Yep, I will be making this for sure!!!

2 comments :

  1. Well, I'm drooling now, and I just ate! I'll have to make this asap! Thanks for sharing the different ways of serving a pumpkin pie dessert.

    Pinning on pinterest. ;)

    Cheers,
    Tracy Screaming Sardine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummy! Love pumpkin pie and this looks really good!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...