background

Sunday, November 13, 2011

Brine a Turkey from GUEST BLOGGER: Adventures in dinner

A homemade Turkey, the PERFECT recipe for Thanksgiving! I will be in Oregon this year on Thanksgiving but you can bet I will be making a Turkey sometime this month in my own home. I have so many recipes I want to make with left-over Turkey that I just must make one at home.... I will be trying out a Turkey Cranberry Pizza and a Turkey Cranberry Quesadilla. I can't wait.
Today I have another guest blogger Jane from Adventures in Dinner, check out this delicious Turkey she made. WELCOME Jane!! 


TAKE IT AWAY:
Thanks so much to Tina for not only having such a fab blog but inviting me over to visit. (You are so welcome, I am glad you are here!)

I’m a newish, older mom (41 year old mom-under two kiddo) and started my blog on maternity leave when I was faced with a lot of non-adult time.  Great time but not something that I was used to. 

You see, I talk for a living.

I teach grade eight, English at a large highschool and my entire working life has been spent surrounded by adults or near adults so I started to write about what I knew.  Food.  In my former life I trained as a chef and even though I’m not working in the industry I still love food.  Thus “Adventuresindinner”.

So onto the food. 

Do you remember incredibly dry turkeys when you were a kid? 

I swear my mom would take a perfectly great bird, cook it for the entire day and serve it when it was practically falling off the bone and dry as the desert.

I committed a few crimes against perfectly innocent birds myself until I learned to brine my turkey.  I do this the day before we’re going to eat it and the bird soaks in the brine as it defrosts.  Two jobs done with one very little bit of effort.

Brining leads to VERY moist meat and a gravy that is out of this world.

Here’s my favourite version which makes for a fantastic turkey but also a really great chicken or even pheasant.

Simply take a large pot and add;

2 T. of herbes de provence, 3 T. honey, 3 cardamon pods (lightly crushed), 
The rind and juice of two oranges, 1 tsp. crushed chilli flakes and 2 ½ cups of cider vinegar.
Realize that you picked a container that is too small for your bird and transfer everything to your biggest bowl.  Rub the brine into the bird and top with enough cold water to cover.


Let sit overnight in the fridge.
Get your big, roasting pan ready.
Drain your bird and stuff.  I like a simply stuffing of:  bread cubes, melted butter and raisins.


Bake in a 330 degree oven until the juices run clear when you pierce the meatiest part of your poultry. Have your little one try to snag the stuffing while you take a decent photo.


Take a mediocre photo and just go and enjoy a tasty dinner. J


Brine a Turkey

2 tbsp of herb de provence
3 tbsp honey
2 cardamon pods (lightly crushed)
2 oranges, rind and juice
1 tsp crushed chili flakes
2-1/2 cups cider vinegar

Simply take a large pot and add; herb de provence, honey and cardamon pods. Take the rind and juice of two oranges, crushed chilli flakes and cider vinegar. Rub the brine into the bird and top with enough cold water to cover. Let sit overnight in the fridge.

Get your big, roasting pan ready. Drain your bird and stuff.  I like a simply stuffing of:  bread cubes, melted butter and raisins. Bake in a 330 degree oven until the juices run clear when you pierce the meatiest part of your poultry. (I usually just follow the hours & directions on the bird for the number of hours to cook)

Thanks again Jane! I think I will need to make two Turkey's this month, so I can try out this recipe!

2 comments :

  1. Thanks so much for having me. Hope everyone lives the turkey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a Jane fan and popped over from her blog.
    This turkey looks delicious!
    Where do you get your cardamom?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...