background

Monday, February 21, 2011

THIS WEEK'S CRAVINGS LINKY PARTY #17 (Cherries) and Cherry Coke Chocolate Cake

THIS WEEK'S CRAVINGS Linky Party #17
The Theme is: Cherries

Cherries... Cherries.... Cherries.... This is actually a fruit I LOVE but don't ever buy or ever cook with for that matter! (I wonder why this fruit is so often passed by?) When it came time to get a recipe ready for THIS WEEK'S CRAVINGS I was stumped. I have never made anything with cherries, (I guess I made cookies once White Chocolate Cherry Chunkies), but I usually never even have cherries around. So, finding a recipe was equally as challenging.

I first went to a few of my favorite cookbooks, and NO recipes with cherries, then a few more cookbooks and still no cherry recipes. I then hit the Internet searching for something, anything with a cherry in it, and really I only came across a few recipes I was even half interested in. But, in sticking with my $150 dollar grocery budget and continuing to clean out the pantry, I decided to use a recipe that called for maraschino cherries (only because I had 3 jars in the cupboard that I originally bought to make my White Chocolate Cherry Chunkies).

Well, I just served up the recipe I did come across and I have happy faces on everyone, including a friend of my daughters. She is a foreign exchange student from Finland and she loved it too! If I can please the kids in America and in Findland, I guess I can report that this cake was amazing. And if it is amazing it's a keeper and when it's a keeper it gets transferred into my scrapbook/cookbook and will be passed on down to my children and hopefully these recipes will be made for many generations to come.


Cherry Coke Chocolate Cake
original recipe found on Tasty Kitchen

1 jar (8 -10 oz) Maraschino Cherries (drained, reserve 1/2 cup juice)
1 cup mini chocolate chips
1 box Devil's Food Chocolate Cake Mix
1 cup Diet Cherry Coke
1/2 cup Vegetable Oil
3 eggs

Drain the jar of cherries, and reserve 1/4 cup of the juice. Chop the cherries into fourths. In a large bowl, mix the cake, cherry coke, oil, eggs and the cherry juice. Stir in the chopped cherries and the chocolate chips. Pour batter into a bundt pan, that's been sprayed with cooking spray. Bake at 350 for 40 minutes. Cook cake completely for at least 1 hour.

Vanilla Marshmallow Frosting
1 (12 oz) container Vanilla Frosting
1 cup Marshmallow Creme or (15 marshmallows, melted) 

Mix together frosting and marshmallow creme to frost cake. Top cake with chocolate sprinkles or some mini chocolate chips. For an extra special touch melt a little chocolate and dip a few cherries in the chocolate, decorate the top of the cake with these chocolate covered cherries.

*****************************************************
Here is a complete list of the past weeks and a list of what's coming up on This Week's Cravings!

Please only link recipes with this theme!
This week's theme is: Cherries

The SIMPLE Rules: (Click for complete list of guidelines for This Week's Cravings)

1. Please stick to the THEME and only link up recipes that go with our theme for the week. 

2. Add our button and/or a DIRECT link back to this post, inside of your post (not just on a wall of linky parties, this doesn't allow YOUR readers to come back to the linky party and see all the fun recipes! Which this is the intent of a linky party in the first place).

3. Also we'd love for you to hop around and visit the other link-ups! After all it's a BLOG PARTY and it's not fun for everyone linking up if you don't hop around and say Hello!!!


PLEASE follow the simple rules, so everyone can enjoy the linky party! If you forget to link back or add a button IN YOUR post you will receive a gentle reminder to add it, before we delete your post! THANKS A MILLION!

This Week's Cravings Past & Future Recipe Links

February 28 - Kid-Friendly Recipes
This is a BLOG HOP PARTY so please hop around
and read some GREAT recipes!

8 comments :

  1. Looks delicious - I love the frosting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tina! I love cherries! I made two really good recipes last season with fresh cherries so I linked to both of them today. I already have a list of ideas of new things to make when this year's cherries are ripe! The recipes I linked to are: Dairy Free Fresh Cherry Ice Cream and also No Bake Cherry Crumble. That recipe is gluten free, but it can be made using "regular" flour if you don't have an issue with gluten.
    Thanks for hosting and have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your cake looks delicious, love the marshmallow!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for hosting. The cake looks delish and my sincere apologies for linking up the wrong recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmm, cherries and chocolate go so good together. Your cake looks wonderful. I added some really great cherry recipes. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so sorry, I didn't link you up. I have been having difficulty with my Firefox shutting down in the middle of what I am doing. Even though, they get me back to the right place, I usually can't get it open for several minutes. I can't invest that time. I meant to go back but frankly, I forgot. I am off to fix it now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the invite! I am drooling over all of this deliciousness! The cake looks amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for sharing this! It looks delish. I hope you link up again this week at Ninth Street Notions and I Made It! Monday. I'll have to pay attention to your themes, so I can link up here sometime.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...